Dear Brad,

I'd nominate Malcom Lowry's 'Under Te Volcanoe' for exceptional merits in
the dispatches from the booze front.

Likewise, William Burroughs 'Queer' and his correspondance in the 'Yage
Letters' with Alan Ginsburg.
Burroughs was always a tippler & his 4.00 pm ritual (in later more  stable
years) of several 'stiff' Gin and Tonic's remains as little known as was  his
Methadone Maintenance Script that helped him live and continue to create  well
into his 80's.

Jack Black's "You Cant Win' is regarded as the journal of a hop (opium)
fiend but much of Black's narrative is taken up with his accounts of 'bums &
yegg's Conventions' where demon drink was consumed to excess and until money or
local 'townsfolk' ran (them) out (of town).

Nick Cage- gives the best performance of his life in 'Leaving Las Vegas' (I
think thats the right title)- his journey into alcoholic oblivion and death
makes for harrowing yet humanising all too humanising watching.

Most of Keruoac's work was booze as opposed to amphetamine related - take
your pick- although I've never taken to his work.

Art Peppers 'Straight Life' chronicles his drug & alcohol use in  harrowing
detial, likewise 'Bird' the biography of Charlie Parker- most of the
biographys and autobiography's of Jaz Musicians go into some detial about their  poly
drug and drink use.

I've many more titles to relate but need a break for now.

Best wishes: Alan J.