Jim McIntosh's email has reminded me that Don Goodwin was the author, from Kansa City I believe. I still think 'The muse and the martini' was a better title. Colin Brewer On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:30:26 -0500 Jim McIntosh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Alcohol and the Writer by Donald W. Goodwin >-Penguin, 1990 contains a chapter on eight authors, Poe, >Fitzgerald, Hemingway, etc. with a theme of why so many >American writers were alcoholics or hard drinkers. > Thomas B. Gilmore wrote Equivocal Spirits - Alcoholism >and Drinking in Twentieth-Century Literature - University >of North Carolina Press 1987 offers an analysis of >drinking as it appears in the literature of many >different authors. cheers, Jim > -- James R. McIntosh, Professor Department of Sociology >& Anthropology Lehigh University 681 Taylor Street >Bethlehem, Pa. 18015 Tel. 610 758 3809 Fax: 610 758 6552 >