This may be of some considerable interest to many of our list
members.  Apologies for cross-posting.

Cheers

Dan

>Subject: New Digital Archive of FDA Court Cases
>From:    "Rees, John (NIH/NLM) [E]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:    Wed, April 1, 2009 1:53 pm
>
>Apologies for cross postings:
>NLM History of Medicine Division Releases Digital Archive of FDA Court Cases
>
>The Archives and Modern Manuscripts Program
><http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/collections/archives/ammp/index.html> at the
>History of Medicine Division <http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/>, National
>Library of Medicine is pleased to announce the release of a new digital
>archive of court case summaries published as the Food and Drugs Act
>Notices of Judgment.
>
>http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/fdanj/
>
>The collection is a digital archive of the notices judgment for products
>seized under authority of the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act and the 1938
>Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The NJs are resources in themselves, but
>also lead users to the over 2,000 linear foot collection of the evidence
>files used to prosecute each case. These files include materials such as
>correspondence, lab results, photographs, and product samples and
>labeling. This collection offers insight into U.S. legal and governmental
>history, as well as the evolution of clinical trial science and the social
>impact of medicine on health. The legal history of some of our best-known
>consumer items of today, such as Coca Cola, and companies like Merck
>Pharmaceuticals, can be traced in the collection.
>
>Users can perform full-text searching and browse the archive by Case
>Title, Defendant Name, Adjudicating Court Name, Geographic Seizure
>Location, and Case Publication Date.
>
>To preserve these NJs and make them accessible, we have created a digital
>archive of both page images and metadata for each NJ. The archive was
>developed as a joint research project between HMD and the Lister Hill
>Center's Communications Engineering Branch<http://archive.nlm.nih.gov>
>(CEB). CEB's System for Preservation of Electronic Resources
><http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/proj/sper.php> (SPER) is a set of Java-based
>applications currently used in conjunction with the DSpace
><http://www.dspace.org/> platform. Among other archiving and preservation
>functions, SPER performs automated metadata extraction (AME) from TIFF
>page images, quality control review, and batch ingest of objects in an
>integrated fashion. SPER leverages the powerful archiving infrastructure
>and access mechanisms provided by DSpace for storage and dissemination,
>but the operations are modularized so that they can be used as standalone
>services or integrated with other repository or digital archive platforms
>or web services.
>
>The current content consists of over 6,800 cases (over 4,300 pages)
>covering actions against Drugs and Devices from 1940-1963. As we complete
>work on other portions of the collection they will be released on an
>ongoing basis. Users are welcome to visit the library to use the hard
> [...]

Dan Malleck, PhD
Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
Editor-in-chief, Social History of Alcohol and Drugs: An
Interdisciplinary Journal
http://historyofalcoholanddrugs.typepad.com

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attachments, may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and
immediately delete this message and its contents, and then find
someone to blame. Thank you.