More material below, but it's all pre-1960. Starting in the 60's, it
appears the mainstream religions generally succumbed to having 12
step meetings in their facilities, and allowed their more direct
denominational approaches to alcohol issues whither.  Also, other
forms of mind altering were coming to the fore in 60's cultural
revolution.

The Methodist example seems typical, in the 1950's old Pickett's
ideas were phasing out and young Clinebell's were phasing in as the
12step/treatment cartel was building its foundation on the ruins of
150 years of previous foundations in this ever-changing field of
"alcohol information and treatment services" (as the phone book
categorizes it).

Dave Trippel

---------

1947, "The Way for Some Alcoholics" by Leo M. Shea, O.P. imprimatur
by His Eminence Samuel Cardinal Stritch (Chicago) 62p. booklet
		Focus - Catholic only
1951, "Depth Psychology, Morality and Alcoholism" by John C. Ford,
imprimatur by His Eminence Francis Cardinal Spellman (NY), 88p. booklet
		Focus - Catholic, 12 step (AA)
1954, "The Choice: The Sacred or Profane Life" by Fulton J. Sheen,
imprimatur by His Eminence Francis Cardinal Spellman (NY), 240p.
book, Dell paperback
		Focus - Catholic 5 step (non AA)
1960, "Alcoholism, A Source Book for the Priest", compiled from
annual gatherings starting 1949 of the National Clergy Conference on
Alcoholism, Ralph Pfau, Sec'y, imprimatur by Paul C. Schulte,
Archbishop of Indianapolis (republished twice in the last ten years -
one being selections) 685p. book
		Focus - Catholic, 12 step (AA) (also see website www.nccatoday.org )
----
1952, "Then and Now", by Deets Pickett, Methodist Board of
Temperance, School and College Service, 138p. book
		Focus - Methodist, prohibition, education
1956, "Understanding and Counseling the Alcoholic Through Religion
and Psychology", Rev. Howard J. Clinebell, Jr. Abingdon Press, 252p.
book
		Focus - Methodist, 12 step (AA)
----
1957, "Alcohol and Christian Influence", by Aubrey Hearn, Baptist
Sunday School Board, Nashville, TN, 138p. book
		Baptist
----
1955, "The Christian Case for Abstinence", "These 20 sermons are the
prize-winning statements, selected from hundreds of entries from a
nationwide contest sponsored by the National Women's Christian
Temperance Union." Association Press, National Board of YMCA. 193p. book

c.1957, "Alcoholics Are God's Children, Too, A Guide to Understanding
for the Clergyman", Statements from five reverends published by the
NoCar. Alcoholic Rehabilitation Program, 50p. pamphlet