>Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:19:58 -0700
>Subject: Re: research for book about gin
>From: Lesley Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>

Colleagues
I received this request for information from Lesley Jacobs, a
researcher doing a book about gin who wants some historical
background.  I forwarded some suggestions, but am sending the message
to you all in case you would like to contact this researcher yourself.

A selection from the request is below.

Best

Dan

<<Snip>>
I am currently researching a book entitled "Gin: A Global History"
for Reaktion Books UK.  As part of the project, I will be exploring
the London gin craze, as well as prohibition in America.

What I basically need are some experts to speak with, so that I have
solid primary sources (even if they are telling me the same things
I'd garner from books.)

>I want to focus on the addiction aspect of gin in London (obviously
>Warner's ballywack, but is there anyone else?)  Also, I'd like to
>talk to some historians regarding the medicinal properties of gin,
>as well as the how prohibition created its own sort of illicit drug trade.
>
>Lesley Jacobs

Dan Malleck, PhD
Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
Editor-in-chief, Social History of Alcohol and Drugs: An
Interdisciplinary Journal
http://historyofalcoholanddrugs.typepad.com

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attachments, may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and
immediately delete this message and its contents, and then find
someone to blame. Thank you.