Hey guys,

We are finally back to doing workshops! There has been a slight change in plans. We will not be doing the redhawk cluster workshop until a later date. Instead, we will be covering Emacs, a free code editor for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

The workshop will be this Wednesday (10/1) at 7pm in BEN 010.

The primary advantages of Emacs over other code editors such as Eclipse, Dr. Java, or MS Visual Studio is how incredibly extendable it is; you can edit Java, Python, PHP, HTML, or C++ all from the same editor. Emacs also emphasizes keeping your hands on the keyboard and so it allows you to do every command directly from keyboard shortcuts rather than the mouse.

Another powerful feature for Emacs is writing a macro. This allows you to automate repetitive typing tasks and can significantly improve your work flow.

Like the Linux workshop, this will be very hands on, so please bring your laptops and come early if you can. I know many of you will have to leave for various reasons, so feel free to leave whenever you need to.

Also, this workshop will be shorter than last time - most likely taking about an hour. There is no need to have gone to the previous workshop in order to understand this week’s material.

See you tomorrow,

Kyle