Dear IES Alumni,

I’m writing to tell you of some upcoming October events.  As you know, the IES is now in the newly renovated Shideler Hall with the Departments of Geology and Environmental Earth Science.  Although we moved here in January, we are celebrating the building’s re-opening the week of October 10 to 13 (October 14 is Miami’s mid-semester break.)  There will be many things going on that week, but the events relating to IES are on Monday, October 10 and Thursday, October 13.

Monday, October 10: Career Exploration

Of particular interest to our students will be Career Exploration.  On Monday, October 10, we will be holding somewhat different version of our annual Environmental Professional Symposium.  Geology, Geography and IES will each host four to six professionals, all alumni of our respective programs.  The alumni will be involved in two events:

        4:00 to 5:30 PM: Career Panels: The alumni from each department will participate in three concurrent career panels.  Students may move from one panel to another.  The alumni on the panels will not give formal presentations, but will be part of a discussion led by graduate students from each department.  Each panelist will be pre-interviewed so that we can develop questions that will lead to interesting and useful ideas and topics.

                    Environment and Sustainability Panel: Room 1 Shideler

                    Geology and Earth Science Panel: Room 53 Shideler

                    Geography and Planning Panel: Room 32 Shideler

        5:30 to 7:00 PM: Career Roundtable (32 Shideler): At 5:30, all three panels will come into the same room where the alumni will be host of a table and will be available to discuss more specific topics and answer questions.  Students will be encouraged to switch tables about every 20 minutes.  This roundtable discussion will allow students to network, learn about a variety of careers and get answers to specific questions.  Food will be available during this roundtable period.

Thursday, October 13: the Ribbon Cutting

We thought you might be especially interested in the festivities associated with the Ribbon-Cutting day.  Thursday, October 13, will be a busy day with keynote speakers, poster sessions, tours of Shideler and finally, the actual ribbon cutting and reception.

John Hughes11:00 AM to 12:00 noon (152 Shideler): Department of Geology and Environmental Earth Science Keynote Talk by Dr. John Hughes, Professor of Geology, University of Vermont and former Chair of Miami’s Department of Geology. (He actually hired me!) “Mineral Resources in the Future: an Example Using Apatite”

        12:00 noon to 1:00 PM (32 Shideler and hallways): Lunch and student research poster session.

1:00 PM to 2:00 PM (152 Shideler): IES Keynote Talk by Ms. Cynthia Sonich-Mullin, Director of the US EPA’s National Risk Management Research Laboratory and graduate of the IES master’s program. “Protecting our Drinking Water for the Future: A Systems Approach to Protect Human Health”

        2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (Throughout Shideler Hall): Snacks, student research poster session, and a guided tour (2:15-2:45 PM) of Shideler Hall

Image result for paul robbins3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (152 Shideler): Department of Geography Keynote Talk by Dr. Paul Robbins, Director of the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  “No Going Back: Surprise, Serendipity, and Epiphany in a Changing World

        4:00 PM to 5:00 PM (Throughout Shideler Hall): Snacks, student research poster session, and a guided tour (2:15-2:45 PM) of Shideler Hall

        5:00 PM to 5:30 PM (Front porch of Shideler Hall): The Ribbon Cutting with remarks from Dr. Chris Makaroff, Dean of the College of Arts and Science, Dr. Gregory Crawford, President of Miami University, and Ohio State Senator Bill Coley.

        5:30 PM to 7:00 PM (Shideler Fourier): Reception

We hope you can join us October 13 for these exciting events.  Of course, you are very welcome at all the events.

All the best,

Jonathan Levy

Director of the Institute for the Environment and Sustainability

http://miamioh.edu/cas/academics/programs/ies/

Associate Professor of Department of Geology and Environmental Earth Science

Miami University

120 Shideler Hall

513-529-1947