From: Denise Withrow [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 10:44 AM
To: '[log in to unmask]'
Subject: IES Alumni Newsletter

Image removed by sender. College of Arts and Science

The Institute for the Environment & Sustainability (IES)

Alumni Newsletter

Image removed by sender.

Support IES

Image removed by sender. Shideler Hall digital globe

Share Your Updates

Send a note and photo regarding your work and accomplishments to Suzi Zazycki. We will include them in an “Alumni Corner” section of the newsletter. Also update your contact info so we can stay connected!

The M.En. PSP

Image removed by sender. Twitter

Image removed by sender. Facebook

Message from the Director

Image removed by sender. Jonathan Levy

Greetings IES Alumni and Friends:

In 2016, we sadly lost two people whose contributions to IES were immeasurable. Gene Willeke, the IES director for 27 years, passed away in January. Gene was a huge force in making IES what it is today. Orie Loucks passed away in September. Orie, an ecologist, joined Miami’s Zoology Department in 1989. Like Gene, he was a huge proponent of multidisciplinary studies and approaches towards environmental problem solving. Gene and Orie will be greatly missed, but their legacies will continue to thrive in IES. See the dedication by Sandi Woy-Hazelton at the end of the newsletter.

This past year was also filled with many rewarding special events. In February alumnus Dan Irwin from NASA was our keynote speaker at the annual banquet. That was followed by our Willeke Lecture by Gabe Filippelli, the Director of the Center for Urban Health at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. In March we held a symposium on interdisciplinary environmental research with colleagues from Zambia and visited Zambia in June through an IES study abroad workshop studying environmental and health impacts of mining. In October, we celebrated the newly-renovated Shideler Hall with an IES alumni career panel and a keynote by IES alum Cynthia Sonich-Mullin, Director of US EPA’s National Risk Management Research Laboratory in Cincinnati, OH.

An exciting initiative for this next year is working with Miami’s new Institute for Food and the new 35-acre organic farm. Together we are working on a new undergraduate IES co-major in Food Systems & Food Studies. Tying into this, the Feb 6 Willeke Lecture is featuring Elizabeth Hoover from Brown University whose research explores indigenous food systems and environmental health and justice in Native communities.A highlight for me this year was co-teaching a new environmental film studies course for undergraduate Sustainability Scholars and Social Justice Scholars, part of Miami’s University Academic Scholars Program (UASP). I had the great pleasure of co-teaching with Steve Lippmann, the Chair of Sociology and Ron Scott, film professor extraordinaire. The course reminded me of what IES is really all about. Our mission is to promote leadership in addressing environmental problems and promoting a more sustainable society.

I am proud to be part of IES and would like to thank all of our alumni, staff, faculty, affiliates and students who share our mission.

All the best,

Jonathan

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. Willeke plaque

In Memoriam: Dr. Gene Willeke

Dr. Gene Willeke exerted an enormous influence on all the people who worked with him.And I emphasize with.

His strength was in getting people to work with one another. To Gene, "interdisciplinary" wasn’t symbolic jargon, it was fundamental to successfully addressing environmental concerns. Gene never taught “answers" - he built the IES curriculum around the process of problem-solving.While inspiring his students, and encouraging colleagues, he consistently tried to get people to cooperate in working on projects that would make a difference. Gene will be missed, but his lessons live on in you.

Warm regards,

Sandi Woy-Hazleton

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. Institute for Food

Featured IES News: Miami’s New Institute for Food Housed in IES

Miami University’s new Institute for Food, housed in IES and Co-directed by Peggy Shaffer (History and Global and Intercultural Studies) and Alfredo Huerto (Biology), fosters innovative solutions that support healthy eating, healthy food, healthy communities and a healthy planet. For more information about the Institute for Food, see these stories:

Image removed by sender.

IES in the News

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. IES Alumni Panel

Alumni Spotlight

IES alumni provide valuable career insight

On October 10-13, Miami staff, students, and alumni

​celebrated

the re-opening of Shideler Hall.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. College of Arts and Science

College of Arts and Science at Miami University

18 Shideler Hall
250 S. Patterson Ave.
Oxford, OH 45056

This broadcast e-mail service is supported by the resources of the
Miami University Alumni Association.
725 E Chestnut St
Oxford, OH 45056
This email was sent to [log in to unmask]
If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, click here.

Image removed by sender.