Some interesting observations in Lake County this morning.  First stop was unsuccessfully looking for the Eastlake Harris’s Sparrow.  Joan Sharf, who originally found the bird, happened to be there and she showed me where it was found.  She then suddenly heard a raven calling.  Sure enough two COMMON RAVENS were circling the powerplant.  Are these the same birds from Perry?  I don’t know… Caitlin Ambrose had a raven on Fairport Nursery Road about 7:30 this morning.  Ours at Eastlake were about 9am.  This is 11 miles at the raven flies and I guess Joan had the ravens at Eastlake a few days ago too.  It might be prudent to have two people at the same time checking both locations to see if these are the same birds or if another pair is in Lake County…

At the Eastlake Boat Launch there was also an interesting MELANISTIC HOUSE SPARROW, and for any January listers – Great Blue Herons, Wood Duck, and Belted Kingfisher.

Caitlin Ambrose texted me from Lake Erie Bluffs to let me know she had a NORTHERN SHRIKE.  I was able to refind it around 11am.  From the observation platform looking south it was seen on the tops of the trees.  I had one in this location in December and Liz McQuaid had one a few days ago.  Looks like we might have one wintering here again.