Hi all,

Although it is a common occurrence for "yard birds" such as cardinals and
robins to have an identity crisis with themselves by persistently
fluttering against a mirror or window, I have never observed a neotropical
bird having this self-inflictied, allusional problem.

That being said: For the last 3 days, there has been a Yellow-throated
Vireo at my home acting this way. The activity started Monday afternoon
when the bird persisted almost constantly "banging away" for an hour while
not leaving a 15 x 30' rhododendron clump.Towards the end of the hour it
was either perching on a sill or perched in the rhodendron about 3 to 6
feet away.  It was never seen to leave the shrubs for almost 3 hours.

About 1/2 the window is completely shaded, the other half (to the
northeast) is partially shaded. The window faces due east.

It then left the shrubs only to reappear (and flutter) for several minutes
off and on over the next two hours. Yesterday it visited by the picture and
side windows by both fluttering in flight and while standing on the sills.
It only stayed for about 10 minutes and didn't return (as far as I know).

Today in both morning and afternoon (10 to 3) it visited several times but
again did not remain for more than 5 minutes each with about 10 minutes or
more between visits.

Since this activity has been occurring over a period of 3 days, I am
assuming this bird is on territory. BTW, this is a FOS and new yard bird
for me.

Roger Troutman
rural Lexington, Richland County Ohio