This afternoon, I was watching shorebirds with two friends up the
western-most dirt road (just east of the house), that heads north from
Wilderness Rd. We were at the eastern end of the row of trees up that road,
where the pile of logs is stacked. A perfect place to watch shorebirds. Its
even in the afternoon shade. In 1.5 hours, we saw 13 species of shorebirds
(including the previously-reported red knot and three stilt sandpipers),
with two more possible. This included:
Black-bellied plover - 3
Killdeer - 100++
Semipalmated plover - 7
Greater yellowlegs - 5
Lesser yellowlegs - 20
Spotted sandpiper - 7
Red knot - 1
Semipalmated sandpiper - 5
Least sandpiper - 12
White-rumped sandpiper - 3 (on Wilderness near the bridge)
Pectoral sandpiper - 25
Stilt sandpiper - 3
Short-billed dowitcher - 8

We also possibly saw a long-billed dowitcher and a golden plover, but could
not be sure of the ID. In addition, we saw the previously-reported
moulted-plumage black tern very well, both on the ground and in flight.
There were also six caspian terns and an osprey in addition to the usual
birds there. Randy Rowe, Wooster