At about 5:30PM tonight, Saturday, the earlier reported 6 American White Pelicans, seen about 10:30AM, were not present on the sandbar south of the US224 Causeway near the Portage/Mahoning County line. Previously at about noon, the six on the sandbar had become one. The other five had moved on to wherever. At 5:45PM, mysteriously, there was a single pelican back at the most reliable sighting location, east of the SR225 Bridge. During the past six weeks or so, the number of White Pelicans increased from one, to four, to five, to six! They were found from south of the Price Street Bridge in Stark County to south of the US224 Causeway in Mahoning County, a distance of about 5.5miles the way the crow flies, along the Mahoning River Channel. Where did the other five get to tonight? And also, why are they all still here?

Bob Lane / Mahoning County