A cold front moved in today around noon. Whenever this happens, activity at our feeder picks up considerably.

As the cold front moved in and it started hailing, a large flock of HFs went to the asphalt-shingled roof of the first floor of our home (and which we can view from a window in a second story dormer. They arrayed themselves low on the roof line like a group of linebackers and chased after and gobbled up the hail balls as they were rolling down the roof.

Both four-footed and two-footed species have plenty of water at our place, including: a pond; a stream; and a heated bird bath. So it is not like these House Finches were desperate for water.

Were they just attracted to the movement of the tiny white hail pellets as they rolled down the dark brown roof, triggering a feeding frenzy of some sort?

Patrick Coy

Peninsula, OH