Hello Ohio birders all,
   At my feeders in northern Summit County, this winter's diversity of birds is average, and the  numbers are good.  Yes, the activity is less when it is mild and there is no snow cover, and overall this has been a mild winter, so far.   The winter visitors, Juncos and White-throated Sparrows specifically, visit much more with snowstorms and continued snow/ice cover.
   I would like to add one other factor to consider: seed quality and type.   I no longer buy seeds at box stores as I have found them to be of poor quality, dirtier, older, and sometimes with moths.  I researched thistle feed to see why finches weren't eating mine, and learned that nyjer seed (thistle seed) goes bad easily (goes dry or molds when wet), which means not just in the feeder, but in the bag, and maybe in the store.  Friends recommended Finch Seed Deluxe, which has a variety of seeds, not just nyjer seed. The finches prefer it to the nyjer only, and I have to refill my feeder daily. They devour it.   FYI, I also avoid any mixes with millet, as the House Sparrows prefer that type.  Safflower, black oil sunflower, suet, and a good quality seed mix (with peanuts) have kept my yard birds happy this winter.   Also, check online about cleaning feeders to help keep birds healthy.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Fox Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and even Purple Finches as spring approaches.  Last week the Cardinals started singing, as well as RW Blackbirds and Song Sparrows in the field, so spring signs are beginning. :)
Happy birding,
Betsy Mac