Today we monitored the ProthonotaryWarbler activity at the Old Sunbury Road section of the Hoover Nature Preserve (DelawareCounty). We were distracted by the other activity in the Area.
We observed activity all along the road,almost constantly hearing males announce themselves with a loud and clear “Sweet,sweet, sweet, sweet”. Their call is music to my ears. The color of the male isstriking, especially if they are in direct sunlight. We observed severalfemales collect material for their nests. Several individuals we observed hadleg bands from prior seasons. The banding was done by OSU Professor ChristopherTorna and students working under his oversight.
Other activity along the road was diversewith some nice observations. Some of the species includedTennessee Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throatedGreen Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Cerulean Warbler,Black & White Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Canada Warbler, Northern Parulaand American Redstart.
There is a pair of Osprey sittingon their nest. It is at a site that previously had been a Bald Eagle nest. Theeagles nest came down in a storm earlier this year. There are two pair ofRed-headed Woodpeckers with roosts.

Charlie Bombaci
               Hoover Nature Preserve