I was able to see all 3 target birds I chased today: the Black-headed Grosbeak at Killbuck, Common Redpoll at the feeders at Time & Optics and the Painted Bunting at Sugarcreek (which I'd seen before but figured I was so close and it's such a lovely bird anyway).

The Black-headed Grosbeak came into tree behind the feeder about 10 minutes after I got there around 11am. It had been seen at 8am & 10:30am also. After hanging out in the tree, it came to the feeder for a few minutes, ate some seed then flew off behind the house. V brightly-plumaged bird. After living in AZ for several years, I was amused I was chasing a Black-headed Grosbeak--I certainly never expected to see one in OH! How many OH records are there?

I had to wait awhile behind the Time & Optics store before a couple Common Redpolls showed up at the feeders behind the house at the back of the store. The store folks said birders are welcome to stand on the adjacent's building's porch to watch the feeders. The redpolls didn't stay long but I got a couple decent record photos and great binocular looks. I haven't seen these in OH before and not for several years when I was in Bay City MI one winter. Lovely birds. There was a pair of vocalizing Am Kestrels soaring about, an adult Red-tailed plus White-crowned & Song Sparrows, a few Bluebirds, many Am Goldfinches.

The Painted Bunting at Sugarcreek appeared less than 5 minutes after I got there, perching in the small bare tree to the left of the 2 big pine trees. It stayed there for awhile then came into the back of the square brown feeder with the sun artwork on it. The bird fed steadily for at least 5 minutes before flying out of sight behind the shed. Other birds near the feeder: Brown Creeper, White-crowned & White-throated Sparrows, bluebirds, and 2 female Cowbirds... I'm glad the Painted Bunting somehow survived the single digit nights we had.

All in all, a great twitch day!

Many thanks to the home (and business) owners who are willing to let strangers peer into their yards at rare birds!

Peggy Wang
Granville