It sounds as though you had a male Northern harrier.
Manon VanSchoyck

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 9:48 PM Letetia Villalobos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This is my first posting on this site although I have followed the site for a couple of years.

Based on the previous sightings, we visited Tagg Rd in Licking County.

We saw numerous Lapland Longspurs, Horned Larks and Snow Buntings and 4 Eastern Meadowlarks

We scanned the trees and found a Short Eared Owl perched in a tree. As we moved closer he flew down into a corn field and we got a much better look at him. He flew off and we drove down the road looking for him and much to our surprise, we found him perched in a tree with another one.
Such a special time of birding on this winter day.

I do have a question. A large bird of prey flew overhead which was white underneath and his face was white with black markings, resembling an Osprey. His tail was long and banded and white at the base. Any thoughts on what bird this was?
Letetia Villalobos

You can join or leave the list, or change your options, at: listserv.miamioh.edu/scripts/wa.exe?LIST=OHIO-BIRDS Send questions or comments about the list to: [log in to unmask]

--
Manon VanSchoyck
Ohio Nature Education