The deep freeze has finally pushed down interesting waterfowl, as evidenced by these 2 spots west of Columbus.   The Darby Bend Lakes area of Prairie Oaks is the star du jour, with a good variety of waterfowl, including unusual ducks like N.Pintail, Greenwing Teal, Trumpeter Swan among a horde of geese & mallards.  Possibly the best spot was the hidden lake along the Alder Trail, which had the biggest mass of waterfowl.

Most of the other areas of the park that I visited had little to offer;   Sycamore Plains was mostly frozen and had few birds, and the same was true of Beaver Lake.  A drive north to the North Canoe access was similarly spare.

I drove over to Glacier Ridge, but first stopped at Lake Corazon, where the water bubblers have kept it ice free.   It had also accumulated a horde of geese & mallards, but also had Mute Swan and a big flock of Ring-necked Ducks, with a few Redheads thrown in.  If ever there was a place to look for Tufted Duck in central Ohio, this is it, but no luck today.  The north part of Glacier Ridge Park held many of the typical winter forest & edge residents, especially around the feeder northwest of the parking lot.   It had the jays, woodpeckers & chickadees, as well as a small flock of Tree Sparrows.

As an interesting coda, after so few landbirds out along the Darby, I was greeted by swarms of Starlings & Robins flying over the Outerbelt (I-270) in north Columbus.   The huge crop of callery pears this year has attracted huge swarms of fruit eaters, so it's safe to say that some landbirds are more common in the urban areas right now.