I went out this afternoon to check out waterfowl. Much of the wetlands are
still frozen, with a few areas of open water. That will continue to change.

I started out at the Prairie Lane ponds, which actually turned out the
best. Aside from lots of Canada geese, there were:
Hooded merganser (5-6 pairs)
Common merganser (1)
Mallards (15 or so)
Redhead (1)
Ring-necked duck (1)
Lesser scaup (25)
Bufflehead (1)
Killdeer (1)
Bald eagle (1 imm.)
Coot (1)
Sandhill crane (2)

I tried Messner Rd, but not much there. Cemetery Rd pond off SR 224 near
Shreve was mostly frozen, but there was one open lead on the far side. That
contained:
Ring-necked duck (125)
Lesser scaup (15)
Common goldeneye (5)
I stopped at Wright Marsh, but that was mostly frozen.

So, a few ducks around. I'm sure it will continue to get better.  Late last
week we saw a lot of pintails and tundra swans off Wilderness Rd. west of
Wooster.
Randy Rowe, Wooster