On April 15, I found the nest that the Merlins chose, and I observed copulation on 6 dates, April 12th through April 25th. I documented with photographs copulation, as well as the female at the nest and in the nest. They were very active, defending the territory, vocalizing, etc.
Due to the increase in the number of wintering Merlins at this location (I observed 8 at one time on several dates during the winter of 2021/2022), it is probably safe to assume that they have had nesting success in prior seasons. This is, however, the first documented Merlin nest in Summit County, and perhaps the first in Ohio north of Knox County, with the exception of Lake County.
The nest they chose is in a very large, dense conifer outside Greenlawn Memorial Park Cemetery, in the back yard of a very nice lady. After I assured her that the Merlins would not harm her small dog, she was very excited to know they chose her tree. Although I could see the nest from the street in front of her house, the best view, ironically, seemed to be from the cemetery with a spotting scope. My monitoring has not been a threat or nuisance to the Merlins in any way, other than just spying on their sex life.
Merlins may lay up to 6 eggs at 2-day intervals.  She will not fully commit to incubating until the last egg is laid.
As of April 27, everything was a go.
Until... they were gone.
Since then, there has been complete silence and no activity. I wondered if she were just down in the nest out of sight, but she is not there.
A breeding pair will allow a yearling male to remain in their territory. There had been 3 Merlins present, with the 3rd interacting a little bit but usually coming in late in the day to roost, and perching apart from them.
After April 27th, my next Merlin sighting was on April 29th when one came in late to roost. I presume it was that male.
I also saw one bird last evening and this morning in the cemetery. I was going to turn my car around to keep an eye on the one this morning but, by the time I could do so, it had disappeared. Like magic. Like Merlin.
I wondered about 3 scenarios for nest abandonment or failure:
1)  The cold overnight temps during the week of presumed egg-laying, pre-incubation, made the eggs nonviable. But my uneducated guess would be that at least the last egg would survive.
2)  Bird flu (I doubt it).
3)  Being shot at by people in the neighborhood where the Merlins were very obvious during the second half of April.
The homeowner said she is not aware of anyone harassing them.
I have been in touch with a Merlin researcher in Manitoba who stated that she had a pair suddenly move to a different nest, even after copulation, that was about 1/2 mile from their original choice. (Merlins do not make their own nests but will use an old hawk or American Crow nest.)  This probably does make the most sense, since it is presumably the two breeding birds that went AWOL.  She advised me to do morning drives around the area.
I have been continuing to check the cemetery often and have spent an early hour during the last two mornings driving all the streets in the vicinity with my windows down, looking and listening. I also checked Holy Cross Cemetery last evening in case they went further away.
I have had no luck relocating them but will continue to try.
Kathy MockBarberton