After the deluge rains this week I worried the water level might have reached the nest boxes at the preserve. I checked several areas today and much to my relief the water was below the boxes, but not by much. I've always tried to place nest boxes above the historic high water level. The high water level deals good with the sometimes bad. The high water level this spring appears to have reduced losses to predators, animal and human. We were out after noon as the female Prothonotary Warblers are generally laying eggs or incubating during the morning and I try not to disturb them.

    The old road in Area N is blocked at the first dip by high water. From the entrance at the kiosk to that point Linda and I did observe 9 Prothonotary Warblers, 6 males and 3 females. I could hear more singing from beyond the blocked trail, but we did not have on boots so the walk ended there. Additional species at Area N included Red-headed Woodpeckers, many Warbling Vireos and some Red-eyed Vireos, plus Great Crested and Acadian Flycatchers. Otherwise it was quiet. The back parts of Area N are inundated and there are many downed trees. Boots, agility and care are needed to negotiate the area in its current condition.

    Next we checked Weise Road. Again the water did not reach the nest boxes. I did get a surprise when we located 5 territories, one more than I was aware of. Five males and one female were observed. Some additional species observed include Pileated and Red-headed Woodpeckers, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Baltimore and Orchard Orioles, Broad-winged Hawk and a very curious Wild Turkey.
    Charlie Bombaci    Hoover Nature Preserve