I visited several areas around Marion yesterday, and the recent cool
weather made many of these open sites interesting.   I stopped at Mation
Quarry Park, the Tallgrass Trail, and the main pools of Big Island Wildlife
Area.   Despite the overcast, drizzly weather, there were lots of birds
out, with the highlights including:

Little Blue Herons - an eye-popping 6 have accumulated at Big Island, all
in the lily-covered west pool along LaRue-Prospect Rd.   They're all white
juveniles, so you'll need to look at their size, behavior, and leg color to
distinguish them from the many Great Egrets

ComGallinule - at least one was working the lilies in that same pond as the
Little Blues
Pied-billed Grebes - had them at several spots
Bald Eagles - 2-3 were at both the Tallgrass Trail and at Big Island
shorebirds - water levels too high here, so only found Killdeer
Red-headed Woodpeckers - at both Marion Quarry Park and the Tallgrass Trail
Willow Flycatcher - still 1 along the Tallgrass Trail, where they're common
in summer
Purple Martins - a few everywhere, but Big Island had 15+
Other Swallows - Barns & Rough-wings at many spots, while Big ISland also
had Tree & Bank
Red-br.Nuthatch - not seen here, but found 1 at the Delaware Dam on the way
up