I had to be in Lancaster for an appointment so I birded a couple hours at Clear Creek in the morning. Fairly quiet but saw & heard some warblers. Humidity & temps improved.

I must admit Merlin is kind of fun to have on my phone. I like being able to quickly confirm what my ears are telling me altho I don't count birds only Merlin hears. It's also v helpful when I have one of those, "I should know that song but can't place it" moments, one of which happened today. Turns out I was hearing a Magnolia Warbler which I haven't heard since spring & for some reason that song does not stick in my brain. John Watts' et al Birds of Hocking Cty 2016 lists it as an uncommon breeder. Not sure I've ever noted Magnolia during the summer at CC.

Other warbler highlights were a group of fledgling Hooded Warblers, perhaps the same group I saw a week or so ago as it was in the same area. I also watched an adult Hooded devour a v large caterpillar. A nice surprise was a female Blue-winged Warbler gleaning nearby. Then I spooked a couple Ovenbirds near the trail & one perched for me briefly then landed on the path. Other warblers were heard only: KY, LA Waterthrush, BT Green, Com YT.

Vireos: Blue-headed, Yellow-throated, Red-eyed & White-eyed
FCs: Acadian, E Peewee
Wood Thrush
Scarlet Tanager
Catbird
Indigo Bunting
Barn & Tree Swallows
Chipping, Field & Song Sparrows
E Towhee

Yesterday, an adult Red-headed WP came to my suet feeder.

Peggy Wang
Granville