I birded along the Cleveland lakeshore today from Huntington Beach in Bay Village to Simm's Park in Euclid. Given the reports on eBird, I expected to see more scoters, but I only saw three black scoters at Cahoon park, and two surf scoters at Rocky River Park. There were thousands of red-breasted mergansers at the parks in Bay village, but fewer further east. Bonaparte's gulls were common at most places. Good numbers of bufflehead ducks and horned grebes were seen. A few common loons were located, but they were diving constantly.

Best sighting was an immature male long-tailed duck seen off the pier at Edgewood Marina. I think it was a male because it had a pinkish bill with black markings. It was several hundred feet out in the more protected water, but slowly swam towards me. Finally it came to the edge the pier and hopped out on the rocks, not more than fifty feet from me. Great sighting!  Randy Rowe, Wooster