I’m not much of an experienced birder, but was surprised to see a pair of birds that matched the description of the above, checking out the trees in the climax forest just beyond my property. They stood out on account of their size (about the size of a large crow) and a very prominent red crest. In the past 20 years, I’ve seen Downy and Red Headed woodpeckers but never this kind before. ______________________________________________________________________