Well, since introduction's seem to be the norm, here's mine:  I'm
    a sociologist who stumbled into a research project on addiction
    treatment ... the theories, the professions, the industry.  I'm
    currently working on a rather longterm look at the evolution of
    and internal contradictions in American addiction treatment, w/
    particular emphasis on alcoholism.

    It began in the 1980s, when addiction treatment seemed to be as
    big as Florida business as timesharing condo sales; then, came
    the crash.  At first, I thought that it was a simple market
    adjustment.  But then I began to realize that something more
    interesting was going on....

    I'm looking forward to participating in this group.

    Lynn Appleton
    Florida Atlantic University