I have to agree with Dean De Bolt.  Trying to second guess ourselves without
an established policy is paranoia.  If one works in a special collections,
the repository's collection policy and donor agreements should dictate
access.  If one works in a government archives, state public records
statutes and retention schedules should determine access.

At the City of Portland, we maintain plans, as-builts, specifications, and
architectural drawings of city owned structures.  ORS 192 (Oregon's public
records law) does not exempt these records from public access.  I have no
legal right to require permission from the creating agency before providing
access to the records.

I also believe archivists trend on shaky ground when they restrict access to
records without a clear policy or because of some vague suspicion.  I see no
reason why we should fall victim to the inflamatory rhetoric certain
political demogogues are now using to their advantage.

Marcus C. Robbins, CA
Archivist
City of Portland
(503) 823-4631