If the terms and conditions on access were properly spelled out in the
deed of gift or deposit agreement, one wouldn't need to be overly
worried about this hypothetical crime scenario. A thread that has
repeatedly appeared on the list is the notion that archivists somehow
have the authority to grant access on an arbitrary basis. These are
not our private materials and I believe it's a mistake when we act
as if they are. If the records are open and the donor has not placed
any restrictions on them after being properly informed of his/her
right to do so, then we have no right to deny access to anyone no
matter how sensitive the materials may appear. I believe it crosses the
line if we police the use of information, unless otherwise stipulated
in the agreement.

Bruce Montgomery
Univ. of Colorado