Apologies if this is a repeat: my address was not the correct one!

Fellow Archivists:

I am in the midst of writing a report suggesting an approach to automation
for our university's archives and I have a couple of questions for those
who have experience with SGML.

Three concerns we have with using SGML are: whether it is able to handle
indexing to allow access to a large database of SGML records, whether it has
a provision to allow for creation of thesaurus terms (enhanced subject access),
and whether it has a provision for creation of other authority controlled
access points?

From earlier communication on this listserv it appears as though SGML will
allow searching of single finding aids by some very sophisticated indexing
tools: Boolean, word proximity, etc., but does it allow searching across a
whole set of finding aids?

As I understand the concept, SGML is merely a manner which allows ASCII text
to marked to allow for retrieval of parts of the record and the ability to
detail those parts for some action or other. It does not define the database
created to handle those index handles, or does it?

Excuse my inexperience with SGML as a whole, I have only dealt with HTML
as of this moment.

MTIA,

Vivian

Ms. V. Sharp                            net: [log in to unmask]
Archivist, Lakehead University          tel: (807)343-8856
Thunder Bay, Ont.                       fax: (807)343-8007
P7B 5E1