David,

You got the region right, but Kettil was actually Finnish, not Swedish!

The group's full name is "The Kettil Bruun Society for Social and
Epidemiological Research on Alcohol."  Its by-laws state:

"The objectives of the Society will be [to] promote social and
epidemiological research on alcohol and to foster a comparative
understanding of the social aspects of alcohol use and alcohol
problems.  The society will also promote the spirit of international
co-operation among and through its members."

I'm a member but beyond the above, things get a little fuzzy for me.
The KBS grew out of the Epidemiology Section of the ICAA, but the ICAA
still has an epidemiology subgroup--and, anyhow, the ICAA has been
joined by the ICADD in the international addictions organizations
playing field.  We need Robin Room to explain the intricacies of this
history.

The group does have a strong historical sensibility, fostered in part
by the fact that Robin edits the journal *Contemporary Drug Problems*
and CDP has become a semi-official outlet for KBS-related papers.  Or
maybe it's the official organ by now.  Again, we'll have to ask Robin.

Ron Roizen