Has anyone out there done any work on drinking among American slaves as a
means of resistance?  In many societies and in many circumstances
drinking has been used by peasants, forced laborers, etc as a means of
passive resistance, but I have seen nothing on the American slaves.  I
know that many African societies had brewing traditions so one would
assume that when they were brought to America some would at least
recreate some of these traditions.  I would appreciate anyhelp on
drinking or illegal brewing by African slaves.  Thanks.
Kathy Transchel