I don't beleive that you should be controversial just for the sake of being
controversial. Stimulating the mind and presearving history are certainly
worthy causes, but there should be a higher purpose to public debate than
just raising a controversy. If it forces you to ask a question, than it is
worthy of an answer.
We have far too many people in society today who create controversy just to
promote their own personnal agenda. Never shy away from contoversy, but
don't create it for it's own sake.
All this disciussion of human skin book bindings and so forth has been very
interesting, if not a bit morbid. It does prove however that not all history
and "art"
in culture are pleasant. There are many practices that at the time may have
been considered "art" that are quite morbid. The account of someone using a
departed freind's skin as a book binding is fascinating. This is a practice
that I was not aware of to such a large degree. The RM or Archivist caring
for such items has a strange task indeed!
>Sender:       Archives & Archivists <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       jlenze <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: HUMAN REMAINS ON EXHIBIT
>
>        While I do not condone grave robbing, I do believe that museums,
>archives, and libraries, have a similar mission to stimulate the minds.
>Controversial subjects are necessary to that purpose.  If it will cause
>controversy and stimulate public debate, I say it belongs in these public
>institutions.
>
>                My opinions are my own.
>
>James B. Lenze, Librarian/Archivist     email: [log in to unmask]
>Roseville Public Library                Phone: (810) 445-5407
>29777 Gratiot Ave                       Fax:   (810) 445-5499
>Roseville MI 48066                      TDD:   (810) 445-4383

Phil Donahue
Records Management Officer
Board of Elections in the City of New York
"The truth is out there"
(212) 487-4025
Fax (212) 487-5349