I agree with Ms Emery.  Are not we, as archivists, by preserving and storing
personal and private correspondence, photos, and documents, doing exactly what
some are condemning archaeologists, i.e. ignoring the personal and spiritual
nature of artifacts for the benefit of education?  In my mind, nothing is
sacrificed or diminished by using such things to teach.  As an archivist and
historical documents editor, I have come across many many letters with very
personal thoughts, even a suicide note donated by the survivors of an anguished
student who killed himself.  All of these are valuable research tools and,
assuming they are properly acquired and used (the suicide note can only be seen
 by students using it exculsively for psychological research), provide valuable
information that cannot be otherwise obtained.

My two cents.

Andrew S. Richmond                                      P.O. Box 141
Project Director                                        Phone: (614)427-4937
The Papers of Philander Chase                           Email:
Olin and Chalmers Libraries                             [log in to unmask]
Kenyon College
Gambier, OH 43022

                "This will do!"
                        -Bishop Philander Chase