I infer from yourposting that the artist might have painted maritime
subjects or yachting subjects.  Marion and Dorothy Brewington published
a biogrpahical directory or dictionary of marine artists several years ago.
You might search that book for your artist.
The New York Yacht Club, I think, has its own records at its building in
New York City.  I believe it is on 42nd street, but you could find that for
certain in a New York City telephone directory.
The G. W. Blunt White Library at Mystic Seaport Museum, Inc. in Mystic,
Connecticut has the records of a few yacht clubs, but I do not know
which ones.  I am sure they do not have any records of the New York
Yacht Club, however.