Library and Database Search Services on the WWW

More and more libraries are allowing searches of their holdings on the web, and we have compiled a list of a few of them on this page as a service to our customers. If you are aware of important sites we have omitted from our list, please drop us a note so we can include the new information on the link list.

Individuals can search through the contents and keywords of 17,000 periodicals on Carlweb's Uncover site. There is no charge for searches against the Uncover database. You can pay $10 per article for fax document delivery of search results if you don't want to go searching through the library stacks yourself. Those of you involved in ongoing research projects and teaching interests will want to subscribe to Uncover's REVEAL service. For an annual fee (currently $25), REVEAL stores keywords for your research interests and sends you a list every month of the articles that have been published dealing with the topics you've listed.

A few online database providers, as well, such as Ovid are taking advantage of the easy access the web offers to individual researchers. Researchers in the Humanities will want to note that Ovid has recently added the MLA International Bibliography to their databases. Notices on the site suggest that individuals may now sign up for "pay-as-you-go" access to Ovid databases.

WWW SITES/PROJECTS DATABASES PROVIDING LINKS TO ONLINE CATALOGS