ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:08:07 -0500
I wish I knew what Jeff is writing about here.

JEFF GLAUNER wrote:

>  I think, however, that the
> first step is for us to develop the teachable, useful grammar.  There are
> two states I know of that haven't waited for the research.  Missouri and
> Colorado have mandated the return of grammar to the curriculum, at least to
> the teacher education curriculum.  (Are there other states doing this?)

In Missouri, students who want to be certified as middle school or high
school teachers of English must take one course on English grammar.

However, students who want to be certified as primary school language
arts teachers do not have to take any course on English grammar or any
course which deals with the nature of language.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University