ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:18:11 -0800
"The food what we ate for dinner" might not be standard English, but it
certainly is common in lots of English dialects.

At the risk of injecting more theory into this, what about the term
"indirect question"? That's how I understand these examples:

When will the notice arrive?
I wonder when the notice will arrive.
Ask him when the notice will arrive.
I told him when the notice will arrive.

And, of course, this brings in the previous discussion about not
changing the word order of an embedded question:

I wonder will the notice arrive?

This is a structure a lot of people consider wrong, but it is only a
step away from its correspondent with a pause:

I wonder ... will the notice arrive?

I think a lot of confusion here is due to terminology: NP vs. nominal,
for example. To me, NP's have to have a head noun. Nominals are other
grammatical constructions that can function the way NP's do. Keeping the
terms apart helps distinguish structure from function.

Why do we have to say the clause is a direct object? Why can't we just
say that "wonder" takes clausal complements? The pronoun versions are
interesting. In fact, I feel (pardon the armchair linguistics) a
difference between "I was wondering about something" and "I was
wondering something". The latter seems to me to apply only in cases of
"if/whether" situations, where the truth of a proposition is at stake,
while the former could be about anything, such as "I was wondering how
it is that we never see the dark side of the moon". The following
exchange seems pragmatically odd to me: