ATEG Archives

January 2005

From:
William McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:12 -0800
I'll second what Johanna has to say. And that's what I tried to
address in the curriculum that I hope you all are looking at.

However, we still need to address how the teachers themselves are
going to learn all that they need to know. When I taught a
grammar-for-teachers course, I tried to cover all three levels of
grammar--syntax, morphology, and phonology (but with an emphasis on
syntax, of course). But that made for such a crowded course that I
asked for another course--one on syntax and the other on morphology
and phonology. That was approved by the department, but the dean
didn't want to hire anyone to teach a second course.

And even adding a second course omits semantics and the language
aspects of pragmatics, except as they come up in close connection to
grammar.

How can teachers do a good job of teaching vocabulary, dictionary
skills, phonics, and spelling without a broader background in
language? Most can't and don't--is the answer to that rhetorical
question.

Bill