FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Donna Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:15:35 -0500
I'm searching for a new textbook for my Legal Environment of Business
course, and can think of no better panel of experts than the members of this
list.

Ideally, I'm looking for a text which will work with my approach of using a
kind of business simulation.  After practicing business law for 20 years, I
had an idea of how I wanted to approach the course. At the beginning of the
semester, students are divided into teams, the teams form businesses, and as
they study each topic throughout the semester, they apply the study topics
to the business.  Among other assignments, they decide on a type of
business, they choose a form of organization for the business, they draft a
Business Ethics Policy for that business, they negotiate and draft a
contract with another business in the class, and they research and present
their findings at the end of the class about whether to take their business
international to a country selected at random.  As you can see, we attempt
to focus on practical business application, applying the concepts studied in
a concrete way.

Some have told me that there are different approaches to an LEOB text, such
as a management approach, or a business and society approach, or an ethics
approach, and others, but I'm unclear on exactly how these are different.

The text I'm looking for should promote ethical business conduct, should
have a positive (or at least, not a negative) view of attorneys, and should
address U.S. Constitutional principles, the force and effects of
globalization, and all of the usual topics found in an LEOB text.

A publisher's representative just left, but while here, told me about
alternatives to hard cover textbooks, including custom publishing (somewhat
cheaper) and online textbooks (much cheaper). So I'm also interested in what
anyone knows about using these different formats.

Finally, I've been writing my own supporting materials for the business
simulation approach for the past 3 1/2 years.  If it turns out that there is
no text which fits well with what I'm doing, I might just write one myself -
in which case, I'd need a publisher.  Many of you have worked with
publishers.  What advice would you have?  I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Regards,

Donna J. Cunningham, J.D.
Assistant Professor of Management
Valdosta State University