FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ingulli, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:16:37 -0500
I used this hypo in two classes today. The Bus Law students were convinced it was fair use--"if business law profs are doing it it MUST be okay."  But my computer students in computer law were appalled. No doubt envisioning themselves as software-writers, they are actually fairly sensitive to ethical issues.

But, a serious question: IF the clips are indeed short enough that Bill's use of them for educational purpose, where he adds sufficient content to make them into something else, is a fair use--then why can't he as holder of (c) in this unique compilation distribute it if he wants to? If the use of the tiny clips doesn't impact on the market for the films themselves (indeed, might actually be ads FOR the films?)  I would think there is a strong argument that his use IS fair. And why would he have to worry about threatening some future, unmade, alternative compilation?

I've only been reading these sporadically, so if Bill's CD is more than short clips from films, then I take back everything I say.
Elaine