ALAS Archives

April 2008

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Paulson, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulson, Susan
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:17:46 -0400
Dear Latin American community members,
No doubt you have noted the banners, sandwich boards and t-shirts showing what looks like a dark skinned Mexican in a big sombrero napping under a cactus with the words DON'T SIESTA, SPRING FIESTA (photo attached).

This campaign blitz advertises Springfest - April 20-25, Themed "Don't Siesta, It's a Spring-fiesta."

A number of people have shared with me their discomfort about this cartoon depiction of negatively stereotyped Latin American identity, and I'd like to open a discussion about how we and others perceive this message, and what we can do to turn this ad campaign into a constructive learning experience.

Please send comments and ideas to me, and I will share with the community.

Susan

For information and upcomming events please visit www.muohio.edu/alas