ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
"Atchley, Clinton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:58:39 -0500
No.  "Committed" is a past participle which, when combined with "had," forms a past perfect verb.  "Committed" without the "had" would be past tense--"He committed murder."  The past perfect is needed in your example because the action of committing the murder had to take place before the action of discovering, i.e. the murder had to take place before we could discover who the murderer is.

Best,
Clint

Clinton Atchley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Director, Master of Liberal Arts Program
Box 7652
Henderson State University
Arkadelphia, AR  71999
Phone:  870.230.5276