FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Highsmith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 17:08:56 -0700
Carol. My condolences. It sounds as though your dean is determined to make a bad situation
worse. I have been through most of the merit and ranking struggles either at the system level
(where we have collective bargaining on pay) and at the school level (where we have some
rankings and restricted travel funds). There is definitely a parade of horribles that you seem
to be suffering. Many AACSB deans who have a law background know you cannot rank law
articles the way many business disciplines choose to rank their publishing outlets. The
impetus for ranking comes from those not knowledgeable of scholarly law work, often with
the intent to homogenize the process of evaluation so as to exclude respected outside peers
and the actual evaluation of the work published. The impact of scholarly publication is often
limited to a highly specialized professors who do not influence greatly the major work of
teaching at comprehensive and regional universities. AACSB's supposed emphasis on mission
of the school ought to more highly prize teaching and learning scholarship, as well as applied
scholarship, and deemphasize theoretical publication common at doctoral institutions. This
has not been the case in the past. Educating visitation-team deans on properly applying new
AACSB standards appears to be as much an impediment to improving our primary mission of
teaching as is the local dean's perception of what a visiting team will demand. Also, outlet's
for teaching/learning scholarship are often dismissed as not furthering knowledge.

This is a national systemic problem, not one unique to your institution or dean.

My recommendations derived from well over 20 years representing faculty in academic
governance and politics.
1. Understand the latest accreditation standards and their application. Educate your
administrators about how these standards support the work of the law faculty in your
institution (given your mission statement).
2. Educate your administrators concerning legal scholarship, publication outlets, and the
respect accorded these outlets in the legal profession, by business legal counsel, and by
corporate leaders with an understanding of the legal environment. (It is reported that CEOs
today often come from the fields of law or finance.)
3. Participate in governance to assure that there will not be unreasonable approaches to
merit, budget allocations, and faculty advancement decisions. If the faculty participating in
shared governance understand the issues, they should resist resource allocation and
personnel decisions that have criteria marginally related or unrelated to your primary school
mission. We cannot all be Harvard or Princeton or Cal, focusing on research and the
education of graduate students who may later teach.

James