MU-VMS Archives

January 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 20:48:38 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Brian Samson) writes:

> Is anyone having problems dialing up to the new 14.4k modems?  About every
> other try, my modem doesn't realize it has connected and I get screens full
> of crap.  Sometimes it will even lock up the application (Crosstalk for
> Windows 1.0).
>
> I have a Zoom 14.4k modem and when I DO get a connection, it's at a beautiful
> speed of 19.2k!!  (Thank youuu, Miami!!  It's about time!! [Of course UC has
> something like 64 14.4k modems already .. let beat it!! hehe])  ANYWAYS, I
> knew about the 2161 line last month (figured it out myself and wasn't about
> to give that info to ANYONE else) and had absolutely no problems  when they
> were on that line.  All my settings are still the same, I have no problems
> connecting to 9600, 2400, or other 14.4k/19.2k modems.  Does anyone know
> what's wrong?
>
> PS.  Telix for DOS also gives me the problem, so I don't think it's the
> software.  It's either my modem, one of Miami's modems, the phone line,
> or that damned curse my mother put on my computer finally kicked in.

Yup, me too

I am coming in using a supra v32bis and running microphone pro on a mac.  I get
lots of gibberish along with a lot of random beeps about half the time--(but
getting the connection at 14.4 when I do get through is great.)  I emailed Kent
a couple of days ago and he suggested I talk to someone else using microphone
pro, but judging by the last few posts in this group, it looks like the new
modems rather than my local system may be the prime factor

Bill Baker
King Library