MU-VMS Archives

December 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 10:04:23 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Realizing that Netnews on the vm/cms has only a fraction of the groups on the
> vax news server, what is the process to get new groups added to the list
> on the vm/cms.  I have spent most of my news time there, and don't relish the
> idea of having to go through all the groups on the vax to weed out all the
> ones I don't need.Thanks.

Until recently we have tried to keep the newsgroups in sync on both platforms,
but due to performance difficulties with NetNews on the IBM VM/CMS (MiamiU)
system, we've had to remove all the alt.* hierarchy newsgroups from MiamiU.
(We tried to do so on only a temporary basis, to allow VM to catch up with VMS.
VM got caught up after a few days, but when we tried to re-add the alt.*
newsgroups to VM, it starting falling several days behind again, so we pulled
the alt newsgroups from VM altogether.  They are still available on the DEC
OpenVMS (MiaVX1) system.

As reported earlier, next semester we will be moving to a new NetNews
architecture on campus.  There will be one NetNews feed (physically located
on a machine other than MiamiU and MiaVX1), and that feed will be accessed
via the Network News Transfer Protocol (nntp) from MiamiU, MiaVX1, MiaVX2,
MiaVX3, and other systems or desktop machines with nntp client software.
(MiaVX2 and MiaVX3 have been accessing NetNews via nntp since last spring.)

Having the University's NetNews feed in one place will greatly facilitate
management and should significantly improve performance throughout Miami.

> -jase

John

--
                          John B Harlan
        Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator