MU-VMS Archives

May 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Clayton L. Hines" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 11:42:01 -0500
In article <1995May22.110422.45509@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Jim McFadden) writes:
> How do I create and delete directories in my VAX account?
> And how do I move text files between those directories?

Type

SWING

at your DCL prompt.  Swing is a pretty nice directory maintenance program,
similar in function to the MS Windows file manager or the Mac Finder.

The commands you would use to accomplish these tasks are:

CREATE /DIRECTORY [dir.name.here]
MOVE filename.ext [dir.name.here]

where [dir.name.here] is replaced by the full path of the directory you want to
create.  For example, you may want to make a public directory:

CREATE /DIRECTORY [eng.jmcfadden.public]

To move files, you can either CD to the directory that contains the file you
want to move, and MOVE it, or you can specify the full source and destination
paths.  Say you want to move the file junk.txt from your default directory to
your public directory.  You could use either of the following syntaxes:

CD
MOVE junk.txt [eng.jmcfadden.public]

-or-

MOVE [eng.jmcfadden]junk.txt [eng.jmcfadden.public]

If you don't want to mess with pathnames and memorization, I recommend you use
Swing.  I don't think Swing's a standard package, though, so don't expect to
find it on every VMS system.  Am I about right, Kent?

   .          .    Clayton L. Hines
   |\______\
.  | |      |  .   We are Pentium of Borg.
   | |      |      Division is futile.
  . \|______|      You will be approximated.