MKTALUM Archives

October 1995

MKTALUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marketing Alumni of Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 12:29:47 -0400
RE: Synergy-eulogist, an introduction

Education (vs. Training)

What was called an Education, required a profound personal
change, in developing character and knowledge (Information plus
Understanding) based on a deep respect for the truth. The process
of education involved doing and learning. The methods of
Classical education, Gestalt, Zen, Sufi, and other traditional
Practices are profoundly educational.

A practice is something you do with internal "knowledge". Bakers
know the condition of the dough, musicians the music, the dancers
the dance, doctors practice the art of medicine, teachers
practice the art of education, artist and sport people the art of
performance, the scientist the nature of things. People learn how
to learn and how to judge what they are doing, they know the
quality of their own work. This knowledge and attention can
produce quality sailors in Sail Boats, excellence in making boots
and beer, in good books and battles won.

I am a student of how people gain internal knowledge. I have
conducted an on-going experiment for thirty years. I have worked
with the conditions that promote learning under many different
conditions. I have made significant progress in understanding the
core of the educational process. I have rediscovered what was
know by experts in pedologist through the ages. Maybe because of
by background I see things from several viewpoints.

Baby Born Under Bombs:

I was born in Barcelona during a complex way war in the
Generaladad de Catatonia involved the anarchist, the republicans,
the communist, and the nationalist (Fascist). ( See Orwell's
Homage to Catatonia). I am the only native born America anarchist
since the anarchist were the official government of a short lived
independent Catatonia. My father, Irving Peter Pflaum, was the
UPI reporter in Madrid during a three year battle, mother,
Melanie Lowenthal, was with my older brother and her parents in
Barcelona. In a month or so we took the last train from Spain to
France and stayed in a small town near the border - Collioure
that remains today a charming artist colony and fishing village.

The end of Liberal Education:

Irv returned to Chicago to become the foreign editor of the Times
(then the Sun-Times). I went to the University of Chicago in the
last days of the Roberts Hutchin's program. I receive a form of a
classical education, organized on Aristotle principles. There was
a common assumption that the education of leaders involved the
transmission of "Western Civilization", culture, attitudes, this
required the values suited to a Roman Gentleman, a British
Officer, or an American Scholar. I did further studies at the
University of London, LSE. I taught school and community college
in St. Albans and Turin Italy.

I started teaching college at the Inter-American University in
San German, Porto Rico. I went to summer schools at Harvard and
completed a Ed. M. in Education and Economic Development. During
the integration of the south I was a graduate student at Florida
State and a consultant on integration of schools. I spent a year
with the Legislature working on issues of Higher Education. My
Thesis was on Geographic Data Base systems and their application
to drawing school zones.  (Ph.D.) I then have worked in a variety
of Colleges and Universities working with students from people
just out of High School through Graduate School. I learned a lot
about process doing industrial training for private business and
public agencies. I have run hundred of seminars and workshop with
hands on exercises and group work.

I learned about learning through Gestalt training which required
a profound personal change. The physical and psychological (mind-
body) connection became obvious. I have practiced the art of
setting the condition where groups can produce synergy.

RE: Synergy-eulogist

The organizations that succeeds today and tomorrow will have
turned on groups. MASLOW ( Further Reaches of Human Behavior )
tells how Ruth Benedict was interested in cultures that promoted
cooperation and "team work", vs. those that were aggressive,
cranky, and mean. Team work creates a level of high energy,
creativity, focus, and joy. The excitement and energy of groups
is know to good leaders, teachers, coaches, and managers,
everywhere and in all times. Organizations that can promote the
formation and support of small, stable, focused groups. These
groups are and will be winners. This is the secret of Z
organization, quality circles (Deming), those who will thrive in
the new world economy do so because of effective work groups.
These organizations are quick and flexible in the rapid changing
market.

There is a way to promote synergy. The "way" is well know and has
been known for thousands of years. It is the seven step method,
rediscovered or transmitted through the ages to produce leaders,
winners, soldiers, and rulers. The method by tradition takes 1001
nights (three years more or less). It is mind-body work, gestalt,
bio-energies, Zen, mind control and focus, self and group
hypnotism, song and dance, ceremony, magic, mystic physics of
matter itself. Strange but not unusual. It works. For dynamic
education (and training), for reformation and renewal, for
aggressive competitive realities - "get with the program". It is
a lot more that "just" talk.

I am look for ways to demonstrate and apply the "method" of
synergy-alogia. (no labels please) The few, the brave, and the
creative will even consider real change, and doing something
different, with the goal of profound knowledge and action.
Character is required and many only a few will stick with the
program,(in the beginning); when the going gets tough, the tough
get going.

There is no quick and easy way. Therefore, I am
looking for those that after due consideration and proof will
commit for 3 years (1001 days) and not look from instant
gratification. The important issue is serious intent, the terms
can be worked out. I like Deming's arrangement with Ford. He did
what he though was useful as long as he believed Ford was really
trying, learning and making progress, and send them a bill from
time to time, a reasonable bill. I have no interest in wasting my
time or your money. Clients include business large and small,
schools and colleges, government agencies, social service
programs including corrections, churches, and other groups. Let
me know and we can have a conversation.

Peter E. PFLAUM Ph.D. , Headmaster
GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE 225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach
http://pflaump.ip.america.com      FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609
ftp://205.245.0.203/                       HTTP://Gold.doi.com/
[log in to unmask]                    [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask], and [log in to unmask] http://gold.doi.com
ftp://205.245.0.203 also the WINS on gg (Golden Globe) IP pflaump.ip.america.com
199.170.102.102 The Golden Globe and Village.. schoolhouse and office