MU-VMS Archives

April 1997

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kent Covert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:05:11 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Robert E. Williams, Jr.) writes:
> Do the folks who came in and were assigned an old-style ID (fmlast), then
> later assigned a new-style ID (lastfm), have two accounts on MiamiU and
> MiaVX1? I've noticed a number of people who have both IDs, and I was
> wondering how that worked. Are both IDs just mapped to one account
> (doubtful, since they have different login times when I PH them), or are
> they actually two, independent accounts? If the latter, does that mean
> they have twice the space allocation as everyone else? Or more (as I think
> we used to get more space a few years back)?

The 2 accounts are completely seperate independent accounts.  We've been
removing the old accounts as people leave the university, stop using the
old accounts, etc.  There are about 450 of these left on MiaVX1.  That's
less than 2% of the accounts on MiaVX1.

> Speaking of space allocations, are there any plans at MCIS for giving
> students more space on VX1 in the near future? To have any kind of real
> web page requires more than the maximum 1.5MB available, and just my mail
> overflows the 0.5MB default allocation. As I've learned, the situation is
> the same for student organizations, which I find pretty pitiful. Of
> course, I bet the major players, like ASG, get just about as much space as
> they want.... And I bet most of the space allocated is still not used by
> students, so the way I see it, there's currently no good reason not to
> give a more reasonable amount of space to those who request it (and are
> putting it to good use, of course). This is especially true in light of
> the fact that we can't run our own servers as an alternative, due to lack
> of static-IP. And don't even get me started on the process we have to go
> through right now just to get our accounts to 3,000 blocks--those of you
> who've done this probably know what I mean (I dearly miss the days when
> Kent handled this‹just a quick e-mail and he took care of you).

There are currently no plans to increase the disk space on MiaVX1.  With
the increasing move to desktop systems, the university does not feel that
this would be a good investment.

--
                                     Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
                                     Miami Computing and Information Services