From [log in to unmask] Sun Oct 17 07:39:12 1999
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:35:24 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Pegeen Reichert Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: please announce
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

A group of Miami students, grad students, and faculty are beginning a
campaign against sweatshop labor.  The main focus of the campaign is
Miami's own licensing agreements with corporations who use sweatshop
labor to make sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc. with Miami's name/logo.

To kick off the campaign, there will be a <bold>"Fashion Show" this
Wednesday, October 20th, behind Shriver at 6:00 p.m.</bold>, featuring
the clothes we wear every day without considering the conditions under
which they are made.

Please announce this event to your students, and I encourage you to
attend as well!

Also, please attend, and encourage your students to attend, the weekly
meetings on <bold>Thursdays, 6:00 p.m., in 218 Culler</bold>.  Our main
goal is to educate the Miami community, and we could use as many
teachers as possible!  This campaign connects us and our students to
international women's rights and labor issues in a very tangible way.

If you would like someone, or a small group of people, to come to your
class to discuss sweatshop labor and Miami's efforts to stop it, please
contact Pegeen at [log in to unmask] or Carol Tyson at

(Please forward to other interested faculty and students.)