ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:31:36 -0400
Questions come to mind about different definitions of "surround."  By one
definition (used in the first two sources you quote), a peninsula can be
"surrounded by water on three sides." In your third source, a peninsula is "
*almost *completely surrounded" by water. The Free Dictionary gives these
definitions:

sur·round  (s-round)
*tr.v.* *sur·round·ed*, *sur·round·ing*, *sur·rounds*
*1. * To extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle.
*2. * To enclose or confine on all sides so as to bar escape or outside
communication.

This raises the question: can a peninsula be said to be "surrounded" by
water since it is isn't enclosed on every side? I've had great class
discussions on semantic questions like this one.

Dick